We loved this winter wedding in Edson, Alberta. Desire and Mark put so much thought and effort into making their day special – everything from hand-making decor items to handmaking their desserts!
Below is just a small sample of their day, to view the entire gallery click here.
Reception Venue: Pinedale Hall, Yellowhead County
Ceremony Venue: Family farm
Marriage Commissioner: Laura Klotz
Florist: The bride herself!
Dessert: The talented bride!
DJ/Band: Wayne McGuire
Hair: Xuxa Bremner
Wedding dress: Tres Chic
Bridesmaids dresses: KF Bridal
Groomsmen: Le Chateau
Archway built by Anthony de Jong & Mark de Jong (now available for rent)
From the Couple
Wedding theme and colours (explain the reason behind your decision):
Whimsical-Romantic with a hint of Rustic. Our colours were Navy Blue and Neutrals. We wanted to keep things simple and romantic – tons of candles, tons of details and little memorable touches throughout the day!
Approximate number of wedding guests:
110 – 120!
Your top 3 best moments and why:
1. The First Look. Something about being able to take in each other’s facial expressions for the first time was something we are forever greatful we encapsulated. It gave us the opportunity to really basque in each other, privately, and enjoy how we will forever remember this perfect day.
2. Saying “I Do”. Funny story – Desires bridesmaids are all very fond of Mark and we often refer to them as “sister wives”. While Desire was saying I do, Dallas and Kayla also said “I do” and the entire wedding party could hear it and we had a good laugh about it at the alter. All joking aside, the moment when we got to solidify that we are finally husband and wife was indescribable.
3. The de Jong family song. Every de Jong wedding in the past couple of years has had a song that marks cousins Rachel and Anthony write and coordinate for the de Jong family to sing at the reception. They all explain funny traits of the happy couple and are so entertaining and truly lovely to hear and watch. Our song was set to the tune of ‘Fishing in the Dark – Nitty Gritty Dirt Band’ and our favourite line was “you family is complete, too bad your fixed or you could have a fleet”
Wedding song, explain choice for song:
Grow Old – Florida Georgia Line
We chose this song because it explains our lives and love story so perfectly. It reminds us that no matter what life throws at you, a marriage is something you build upon and grow together continuously. Plus, it’s Florida Georgia Line.
Your top 3 favorite wedding details (cake, flowers, dress, band, etc.) and why:
1. Wedding outfits. Mark suit was purchased so thankfully Desire gets to enjoy it more than once but it was a blue jacquard pattern and made Desire speechless; naturally the dress did the same for Mark and he already has ideas for how they could wear these outfits again one day!
2. Dinner. Anyone who knows us, knows that food is our love language. Hands down. We wanted to make sure this was one of the highlights of our day and everyone would walk away from the evening raving about the food. The food was SO GOOD. We made all the food ourselves (Along with family help) and we wouldn’t have changed it for the world. Brisket, Salmon and Ham were sooo good!
3. All the Aesthetic things (hair, makeup, florals). They were picture perfect.
Any advice to those that are planning their wedding?
If you’re someone who plans on doing everything yourself, make sure the weather permits or you have some amazing people you can rely on to pull through for you. Also, don’t stress the day of – or else you will forget all the details that are the most important things to remember.
We chose to go to Thailand for our honeymoon because we love adventure and relaxation! We started in Bangkok (which was so much fun and a great intro into the culture and time change) then we went to Chiang Mai – we would retire here if it’s in the books for us. It’s beyond amazing. The people, the climate, the culture, the activities surrounding the area, the elephants!!! (Desiré is obsessed with elephants and may have cried after they left the elephant sanctuary). Phuket was last on our list, it was picturesque and beautiful but not what we had anticipated. It is very populated and busy (we weren’t anticipating that!)
Winter Wedding in Edson, Alberta
If you enjoyed this winter wedding in Edson, Alberta, we think you’ll love this summer wedding in Cochrane.